Hair transplant is known as one of the less risky ways against baldness and hair loss problems. However, despite its advantages, there are many disadvantages of hair transplant methods.
While hair transplants help to restore your balding, receding and thinning hair, ensures a natural-looking hairline with its low risk of complications, and less downtime to heal the wounds, they have also disadvantages that can be listed as some bleeding and infection, swelling of the scalp, bruising around the eyes, and numbness or lack of sensation on the treated areas of the scalp, as well as shock loss, or sudden but typically temporary loss of the transplanted hair, and unnatural-looking tufts of hair.
You can get more information about the advantages and disadvantages of hair transplant and you can learn about what to do to hair transplant aftercare.
12 Advantages of Hair Transplant
1.Follicular Unit Transplant (FUT) as one of the hair transplant methods shows us that the follicular unit is divided and replantation is done in designated area. With this way, a strip of skin is taken out from the back of the scalp so a good surgeon is always good here in order to minimize the scar from the donor area.
2. Hair transplant is seen very advantageous because of the fact that it happens with the bits of help of transplantation of your own hair taken out from the back of the scalp. In order words, it grows naturally in terms of the hair itself and the color itself. The color of the hair is the same as your original hair, as a result of this.
3. I can tell you that hair transplant will not force your limit of a patient. Before one year is done, you will see that it completes its recovery. It takes generally 8 within 8 to 10 months. If you wonder when your hair growth starts, it is after 2 to 3 months, which is a very good duration compared to other methods against hair loss.
4. One of the highly advanced technological ways, Follicular unit extraction (FUE), give the doctors a great opportunity to see some tiny dots. It is important because many methods do not see the small dots on you back of the scalp. It shows how meticulous this method is when it comes to single hair is extracted and replanted in the designated area.
5. Many doctors and experts suggest hair transplant by saying that it is a method completely safe and natural because they are pretty sure that there is no special chemicals or medicines used in this process to damage your hair.
6. In fact, among other hair growing methods, hair transplant surgery is the most natural. Apart from that, the results are so good that the majority of the people will realize and be able to tell that you got a hair transplant.
7. Your hair will be very manageable after this operation. Your transplanted hair will work just like your naturally grown hair with its natural color. Therefore, there is no to apply for you any special shampoos or chemicals to maintain its density. It will make your life easier.
8. This method is recommended for those who suffer from baldness. There is a change now for you to have long hair!
9. Hair transplant will surely increase your self-confidence because of your new youthful appearance. In other words, hair transplantation experience will fill in your balding areas and then grow for the rest of your life by giving them the boost in self-confidence you need and want in front of other people.
10. It is not only about having a new youthful appearance but it is about ensuring that the results lead to very natural looks. The transplanted hair blends seamlessly with your healthy hair. That is why hair transplant gives you a very natural and subtle look.
11. While many hair restoration procedures tend to be a bit costly, hair transplant surgery is not like that. This is because unlike other solutions, hair transplantation is permanent.
12. It is also nice that hair transplant requires just minimal maintenance after hair transplantation on the affected areas. This is because the transplanted hair is the patient’s own hair and grows normally and naturally.
13. You should carefully choose your doctor among the ones very successful to predict future areas of loss that can be successfully obscured by the hair transplant procedure, which is a big advantage for you.
12 Hair Transplant Disadvantages
- Some people experience hair transplant failure sometimes. It generally happens because some the low technical opportunities or the lack of professions use that technique tools. In other words, the clinics claiming they are good at doing hair transplant should not be done with very little knowledge fail to lead to poor results, low self-esteem, patient dissatisfaction, and depression.
2. When it comes to graft placement, it is something no one should skip for the hair transplant process. This vital part has an important role in the final appearance of the patients’ hair. That is why experienced doctors care about it when taking the permanent safe donor area for hair transplantation. You search a lot before choosing your own doctor.
3. Also, beard and breast hair are important for hair transplant. They can be also used as additional donor resources as alone or combined with other body hair for part of the treatment via improper techniques. Generally, the experts or clinics skip this part, and it becomes one of the disadvantages of hair transplant.
4. In fact, before deciding which clinics or hospital you want to have a hair transplant, you should search for it very carefully. There are many unprofessional so-called doctors and professions claiming they are experienced in this medical field, but the reality is that they are not professional at all. There being honest and well experienced are so significant in this sense.
5. The next disadvantage is about the hair graft which happens when it is exposed to air for more than 10-20 seconds. It might be innocent at first sight; however, even the tiny ones are risk and damage. The times when the reasons for making the possibility of drying graft might occur can be listed as when the grafts are not immersed in a bath of a physiologic solution directly after the graft is extracted, while trimming the graft, when shifting of graft from one place to another, and during placement of the graft.
6. Post-operative care is also vital as much as the hair transplant operation itself. After the surgery, you should be informed by your doctor what to do and what to avoid for the following days and even months. For example, scratching this area or improper hair wash may have an adverse effect on graft survival. Also, the side effects should be already certainly determined based on your persona background before the operation itself.
7. Hair transplant is an invasive procedure performed under local anesthesia. That means the success of a transplant largely depends on the quality of existing donor area.
8. There is also a disadvantage of hair transplant in terms of the recovery period. In other not paying adequate attention to the do’s and don’ts during the recovery period is problematic for some hair transplant clinic. It might result in increased risks of infection, bleeding, scarring and even numbness.
9. It is less risky but there is still a possibility for you to encounter hair loss problem after the hair transplant period. This usually causes small bumps on the scalp of the patients.
10. The hair loss problem might result from the traumatic effect on the scalp after the hair transplant. This is a strong reason to reduce a bit of your already decaying hair.
11. Apart from that, you might have some scars or some wounds because of resulting out of the transplantation of hair follicles from one part of your body.
12. If you want to try the DHI hair transplantation methods, you should be careful more. Those methods are one of the hair transplant methods one should be meticulous procedures because it takes a lot of time and effort to master. You should find an expert to have it.
13. Many of the disadvantages are related to hair transplant aftercare. Therefore, after the surgery, you should be informed by your doctor what to do and what to avoid for the following days and even months. Even if your doctor skips this step, you should warn your clinic to be informed well.
There are two main techniques if you face hair transplant failure:
1.Direct Hair Transplant
If your doctor and the adviser could not find any other solution, this time you can apply this as the latest technique of hair transplant. For this type that is known as the direct hair transplant way, hair follicles are extracted one by one from the donor area.
After that, they are implanted in the recipient area directly in a single step. At the end of the day, you will have healthy and natural-looking hairs with a successful appearance.
The benefits of Direct Hair Implantation (DHI) is listed below:
- You will see 100% natural results, which will satisfy you in terms of beauty, young appearance, and self-confidence.
- There are no reception incisions.
- There are no stitches in this hair transplant method. This will make you feel more comfortable and there is no need to get worried about your scalp for its appearance.
- For the appearance of your scalp, it is also advantages of DHI technique that there is no scarring.
- Direct Hair Implantation (DHI) is known as a method pain-free.
- It is also known as a hair transplant method maximum survival rate of hair follicles by proving more than 90% survival rate.
- You will need recovery time to recover your hair transplant failure.
- It is needed less donor hair requirement.
2.Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)
This technique is about taking the individual follicular grafts from the donor site and implanting them on the bald area. It should be followed by the slits made on the bald area generally heal as basically untraceable dots in the scalp.
In follicular unit extraction (FUE) the hair follicles are cut out directly from the back of the head through hundreds to thousands of tiny punch incisions. It is known that the surgeon makes tiny holes with a blade or needle in the area of your scalp that’s receiving the hair transplant.
In other words, they gently place hairs in these holes. Also, during one treatment session, a surgeon may transplant hundreds or even thousands of hairs.
After that, the graft, gauze, or bandages will cover your scalp for a few days. Generally, people become happy after this process as soon as possible.
Here are some basic pieces of information about Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE):
- Follicular Unit Extraction can be implemented to women and men with for baldness problems that are called Androgenetic Alopecia.
• Follicular Unit Extraction sessions may have to be completed in 2 subsequent days, which is more than 1.500 follicular units).
• You should follow your doctors’ recommendations. They might exploit the back and the sides of the scalp for donor supply
• FUE is less invasive than FUT (Strip) because here there is an absence of linear incision, which is associated with a smoother postoperative course. In other words, the donor area requires a shorter healing period and it is left to heal by second intention)
• Not only for your hair but also your hairlines, temples, sides, eyebrows, and scar repairs Follicular Unit Extraction is one of the effective methods.
• Because of the ability to select for extraction 2-hair, 3-hair of 4-hair follicular units, your doctor might be able to provide many hairs from a certain number of follicular units.
What is Postoperative Capillary Graft?
The postoperative period of an FUE hair transplant is listed above:
- First 15 days: It is the most intense postoperative period of the FUE technique. For the first 15 days, you may notice itching and inflammation because the area that the hair transplant was applied is redder. You should appear small crusts that start to fall naturally during the first week.
- Between the third week and the two months: This is the phase in which the follicles are detached from the transplanted hair. There is no need to get worried about this process since this hair will grow back without falling.
- From 3 months: You will experience the new hair starts to grow. It is time you will start to become happier.
- From 6 months: You will see a new regrowth occurs with stronger and longer hair than you used to have.
- One year after: After one year, the result of the hair transplant process will be visible in most cases with a completely natural finish, which does not distinguish the hair of an implanted follicle from that which has not been.
Hair Transplant Aftercare
If you want to escape from the disadvantages of hair transplant, you should be very meticulous about the aftercare.
Here are the things you should do after a hair transplant:
- You might face some swelling. If you want to avoid swelling, you should sleep with his head elevated in 45 degrees and for three nights after the hair transplant procedure.
- It is important not to eat any ice cream or aspirin so that you can stay away from alcoholic drinks from 3 to 5 days after the procedure.
- You should apply snow to your forehead every 2 hours and for 15 minutes to avoid swelling.
- If it is possible in terms of weather conditions, you can apply snow to your forehead every 2 hours and for 15 minutes so that you can avoid swelling by doing so.
- You should avoid weight lifting, or carrying high weights for 10 to 14 days after the hair transplant procedure.
- It is also important to avoid saunas steam and sunbaths for at least three weeks after the hair transplant procedure.
- You should avoid sexual contact as long as possible for at least one week.
- When combing your hair, you have to do it carefully and gently to avoid moving the planted roots.
- You need to try to avoid using hair dryers in the first two weeks especially those with hot air.
- You can dye your hair, and also you can cut it or curl it once after the flakes around the planted roots have fallen off but you should be very careful not to damage your hair scalp.
- Peels might start falling off in 7 to 10 days after the procedure, and this may take longer. If you want, you can try to use Bepantol to soften the peels.
- You need to take a bath gently by trying not to pour water or add pressure to the area where the follicles are planted.
- You should avoid too hot or too cold places; for example, you need to stay away from saunas steam and sunbaths for at least three weeks.
- During the first three days, the head must remain uncovered, you can only use the hat which is given to you and which exerts very little pressure.
Here are some medicines and their features for your use after the hair transplant:
- You need to wet your hair first with the sterile solution (up to 5 days) and mineral water (from 6 to 12 days).
- And now, you should apply pink shampoo (2-3 drops only) with a folded, sterile, saline-wetted gauze piece over the planted area.
- After that, you should immediately wash it off by a strong jet of medical water. Please be sure that all shampoo has been washed off.
- Lastly, you should allow your hair to dry at room temperature or by standing under the fan for one minute.
- The things you should be careful about is the fact that you should not use a hairdryer and blower when the weather is sunny.
Aloe Vera Water in Purple Top Plastic Container:
- First of all, you should remove the lid and open the jar. And then, you can wash your hands with soap and water.
- Secondly, you can shake them dry. Here the thing you need to do is not to dry with a towel.
- Again, you should be sure that your hands should be completely dry.
- From the spray small bottle apply antiseptic over the hand and fingers you are going to use for the application of the gel.
- After that, you can rub the antiseptic dry on your hands.
- Now, it is time to wet your fingertips from the container and apply gently over the recipient area creating a very thin layer of wetness over the planted area only.
- Here you can use your second finger if you require more aloe vera water.
- Please do not dip the same finger you have used before to get more liquid out of the container because this will contaminate the liquid for future use.
- You need to allow aloe vera water to dry.
- As the last step, you need to wear a cap. After that, you are ready now!
Blue Antiseptic Spray:
- Firstly, your hair should be completely dry. after that, you can spray antiseptic over wet hair reduces its efficacy.
- You need to close your eyes now before covering them with a hand towel completely so that your eyes will not take any damage.
- The next step is to hold the bottle vertical and keep the nozzle directed towards the procedure area.
- You need to press the plastic nozzle and sprinkle antiseptic over the area. You may require about 2-3 spray shots for the whole planted area.
- Please be careful about what you should keep it away about two feet distance from the surface while you are spraying.
- You should allow antiseptic to evaporate in about a minute. And then you can remove the towel and open your eyes.
- If antiseptic goes in your eyes by accident, you should wash your eyes immediately with lots of cold water and consult an eye specialist or your hair transplant doctor to recommend an expert.