Hair transplant surgery is not a miracle you can expect a big changing in your appearance. That means, you still need time and patient after the operation when suffering from the pain it has and the time required to have again hair growth.
It is because of the fact that hair gratification is only about restoring a thicker head of hairs, which means there is no guarantee about the future. It might take time like one year or even one and a half years. You can make this process shorter by fostering your hair growth.
Minoxidil will certainly help you to make the transplanted hair grow faster. This medicine is recommended by many doctors and operation team.
Two main reasons of using minoxidil after the hair transplant surgery is that it is so effective to speed the rate which the transplanted hair starts growing within the first month, and the second one is that it is helpful to reduce the changing of the potential hair loss in the existing hair where the are where there is no hair transplanted hair.
What Is Minoxidil (Rogaine)?
Minoxidil, that is also known as Rogaine, was used firstly in tablet form for high blood pressure. However, it became a hair loss drug in time when it is realized that it works well to fight with severe hair loss and as a supplement after the hair transplant operation.
Minoxidil (Rogaine) is approved by the FDA first as one of the drugs for the treatment of male pattern hair loss. Now, it works well and is approved for both men and women hair loss treatment by FDA, U.S. Federal Drug Administration.
Minoxidil, as one of an over the counter medications, is used hair transplant surgery as well as for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia and alopecia areata.
You should know that it is a treatment for hair loss, not a total cure at all. In order words, you should take advice from your doctor before applying it to your hair although it is an over-the-counter medication.
How to Use Minoxidil?
Using Minoxidil is not recommended for all patients at all. You should take advice from your doctor since it is something related to the patient’s own medical history related to gender and age.
For those who use Minoxidil after the hair transplant surgery should follow the schedule is needed. For instance, it is better to start using this medicine after five or seven days.
The duration is also connected to your personal health story. While one can continue to take it for a few months, some other patients might need to continue between four and six months.
For the best result, you should apply the solution twice a day. If you use it regularly, it is possible to realize how fast your hair regrowth within three months of twice-daily use.
How to Apply Minoxidil Topical Solution
First of all, you should make your hair and scalp dry before applying it. There is no need to use any shampoo or hair conditioner before applying it. One dose is enough for one time.
You can apply the dose to the crown of your hair scalp. It is generally suggested to separate your hair scalp into six main parts and apply one drop along each region so that you will not confuse and the solution will penetrate equally around your hair scalp.
You need to rub it in when you apply the solution. Yet, it is better to avoid getting your hair wet for at least four hours so that it penetrates well all around.
Still, you should read the instruction inside the box. You should do not overuse it then the optimum dose. You need to take professional help if you overuse it since it may be dangerous when it is swallowed.
You can even have some serious reactions such as passing out and trouble to breathe. Just ignore it when you miss a dose and continue to apply regularly you used to have.
How to Apply Minoxidil Topical Foam
To begin with, you should open the container by matching the arrow with the arrow on cap and then pull off the cap. Now, it is needed to divide your hair into one or more rows in order to expose the hair transplanted area on your hair scalp.
Subsequently, you should hold the can upside down to press the nozzle by putting foam on your fingers. Your fingers might help you to spread the foam over the hair area and gently massage into your scalp.
You should wash your hair so that it will not harm your skin. Hair transplantation operation is quite a sensitive one. After applying Minoxidil, you might realize some abraded, irritation, or a sense of sunburning. When you become aware of one of these feelings, you should call your doctor.
The Dosage of Minoxidil
As mentioned above, it is different for each patient relates to their medical history and the hair transplant surgery process. Your doctor’s decision is important here.
The general assumptions are different for topical solution dosage and topical foam dosage form, which varies from adults to children.
For topical solution dosage form, adults should apply it 1 milliliter (mL) to the hair scalp two times a day.
Yet, it is totally determined by the doctor for children. Although it is less common to have hair transplant operation for children, there might be some cases for some special conditions.
When it comes to the topical foam dosage form, while adults should apply half a capful to the scalp two times a day, children again should ask their doctor.
If the hair loss problem is not severe, it is not mostly recommended to have a hair loss operation for kids.
What to Avoid When Using Minoxidil?
- If you apply Minoxidil in your hair scalp after the hair transplantation surgery, it is better not to use any other skin products on the same area especially right after the operation. It might give you big damage you can even imagine.
- You should follow the instructions before using the foam or the solution version of Minoxidil. For instance, it is never suggested to apply 24 hours before and after the hair treatment procedure.
- When you miss a time or a dosage, just keep applying the net one. You should not get worried about it; there is no need to make the dose double when you miss your doses of Minoxidil to make up.
- When you apply it, you should not use any shampoo and hair conditioner for your hair for around 4 hours after applying for the medicine. It might hurt you to use any chemical product together with Minoxidil due to their combinations and the side effects of the hair transplant surgery.
- You should not apply Minoxidil other parts of your body including your hands. You should wash your hand after being done.
- Your hair should dry by itself. That means it is not good to use a hairdryer to dry your hair scalp after you apply minoxidil solution. It might harm the transplanted area, and it is less effective when you blow with a hairdryer on the scalp may make the treatment less effective.
- It is needed to apply it only your hair scalp area. You should keep this medicine away from not only your hands but also your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- When you use the spray version of Minoxidil, you should be very careful about not breathing in the spray. It might hurt your breathe especially you have a disease related to.
- When you use the foam version of Minoxidil, you should not use it near too heat atmosphere and open flame. It is also dangerous to smoke near it.
How Minoxidil Works?
It is known as one of the vasodilators clinically proven when it comes to stopping hair loss anytime not regardless of the hair transplantation. With its power to help stimulate the regrowth of hair, and to open up potassium channels in the body, by facilitating cell membrane hyperpolarization, it is very useful to have Minoxidil after the hair transplant operation.
Furthermore, Minoxidil works to expand blood vessels, more nutrients, blood, and oxygen, which are quite important for your hair follicles in the hair scalp so that it can be able to grow and regrow.
With the help of minoxidil, your hair follicles twill reach fast the telogen stage, that is the resting phase, and it will be easier to replaced by thicker hairs during the newfound anagen cycle, which is the active growth cycle. It is already how the hair growth circle work, which does not work properly for those who suffer from hair loss problem.
The Advantages of Using Minoxidil After the Hair Transplant Surgery
There are many benefits to using Minoxidil after hair transplant surgery. Not only after the hair gratification operation but also when you have severe hair loss, you can use this medicine if it is okay for your doctor.
- By slowing the progression of hair loss, it helps hair growth fast even after chemotherapy period.
- Minoxidil is approved by FDA approved to combat with hair loss.
- You can use Minoxidil after the hair transplant patients in order to promote the growth of transplanted hair growth.
- It can retard the aging of human keratinocytes and help in scarring alopecia.
The Side Effects of Using Minoxidil After the Hair Transplant Surgery
Using Minoxidil has not only some advantages. Here are some disadvantages yo might face especially if you overuse it then you need.
- You might feel itchy scalp along with mild acne. You should differentiate if it is because of the hair transplant surgery or the usage of the medicine. When you have a severe feeling of itching, you should inform your doctor since it might be somehow allergic.
- It is possible to have a severe headache and even lightheaded for the first time you use Minoxidil.
- Low blood pressure and chest pain are other possible side effects.
- When you use it for a long time, it is even possible to weight gain rapidly.
- Blurred vision and facial swelling are also possible. You should take your own precautions.
- The next side effect is to experience some changes in texture and color of your existing hair before the hair transplant surgery. It is one of the rare side effects but you should still be very careful about it.
- The cost might be high for some people especially when you think about the fact that you need to apply it every day and during the months. It might be helpful to know that it is not covered by the health security.
- For some cases, it is possible to have again hair loss when you stop using Minoxidil less time than the optimum time duration.
Minoxidil and Hair Loss in Women
The hair growth cycle is different for men and women, which each of them has followed four main stages of the hair growth cycle differently.
For women, when there is something wrong with the process of the hair growth cycle, minoxidil would be a solution against the hair loss in women.
It works by putting your hair follicles into the anagen phase and causing hair follicles to quickly go through the resting. Consequently, it helps the hair growth fast with resting and shedding hairs quickly. There is much more research about the success of Minoxidil for hair loss.
To illustrate, according to one study happened back in 2014 study, it is found that 60% of women who use minoxidil report some level of new hair growth, when it is compared to other 40% of women given a placebo.
It is impossible to claim that Minoxidil is a miracle and can work alone when it comes to hair loss. This claiming is not realistic. However, it works well after the hair transplant surgery or if you have not severe hair loss like balding.
Moreover, it is easy to use with solution and foam version. You will get to use it easily if you become patient enough after the hair transplant surgery. Please do not forget to ask your doctor to fully understand if your own condition is okay to use Minoxidil or not.